Results 1 to 10 of 32

Thread: Altec History Photos

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1
    Senior Hostboard Member mah's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 28th, 2008
    Posts
    2,003
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

    Altec History Photos

    This link may be of interest to forum members:

    Lee Sound Design

    Please note the request for any suitable photos to add to this site.


    Cheers, Marshall.

  2. #2
    Senior Hostboard Member wws944's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 16th, 2008
    Posts
    140
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Altec History Photos

    Fun photos!

    Here is scan of the Radio World magazine article with the photo of the Idora Park horn:

    http://durenberger.com/resources/doc...LRADIO0822.pdf

    I wonder if it was preserved after the park was razed...
    W.

  3. #3
    Inactive Member bfish's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 1st, 2004
    Posts
    2,891
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Altec History Photos

    Yeah, I particularly enjoy the group photo of all the W.E. alumni... kinda puts some of the "Lansing" claims to fame in perspective...
    "[I]We're going all the way, till the wheels fall off and burn[/I]!"
    Bob Dylan, from [I]Brownsville Girl[/I]

    [I]"Time wounds all heels"[/I]
    John Lennon, referring to the Nixon/Hoover deportation fiasco.

  4. #4
    Inactive Member robertbartsch's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 21st, 2009
    Posts
    166
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Altec History Photos

    As a lover of Altec products for over 40 years, I have enjoyed this thread much.

    Until now, I was not sure about the connetction between Bell Labs/Western Electric and Jim Lansing.

    The history on the official JBL cite is interesting too. I think they were very kind in describing their founders' demise as "Jim passed away in 1949 and the company, as beneficiary, used the life insurance proceeds to reduce debts"

    I thought I read where that he hung himself at home, in part, due to financial stress, in which case, any life insurance would not have been paid.

  5. #5
    Inactive Member bfish's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 1st, 2004
    Posts
    2,891
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Altec History Photos

    Altec began with ~295 former W.E./E.R.P.I. employees, many of whom were degreed engineers. When they bought LMCO, they picked up ~19 employees and a factory floor. To credit the company's subsequent accomplishments to any individual does a shameful disservice to the rest.

    While much of our discussion is centered around a few long-lived drivers, it should be remembered those were but a drop in the bucket of Altec's accomplishments. Their R&D helped pioneer and shape the entire recording industry, from a wide array of microphones, through the mixing, equalization, compression, amplification, and eventual playback. They played a key role in developing the detection systems that eventually helped curb the terrible losses to U-boats in WWII. They designed and installed reliable warning systems across the country. From the ballpark, to the rock concert, to the studio, to the theater, to the church, to the conference room, to the corner club, to the home, Altec was there. Many alumni went on to grow other companies in the field. It was a collective of intellect and talent that resulted in the whole being far greater than the sum of its' parts.
    "[I]We're going all the way, till the wheels fall off and burn[/I]!"
    Bob Dylan, from [I]Brownsville Girl[/I]

    [I]"Time wounds all heels"[/I]
    John Lennon, referring to the Nixon/Hoover deportation fiasco.

  6. #6
    Senior Hostboard Member Audio_by_Goodwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 9th, 2004
    Location
    West Michigan
    Posts
    2,157
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Altec History Photos

    Quote Originally Posted by bfish View Post
    Altec began with ~295 former W.E./E.R.P.I. employees.......

    .......They played a key role in developing the detection systems that eventually curbed the terrible losses to U-boats in WWII.
    I had no idea on these two items.
    Audio_by_Goodwill
    Michigan, USA

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.